Friday, June 21, 2013

June 17, 2013

So I am in the field! The real deal! New companion is Elder Hayden ( been out about 1 year). Things are better out here than the mtc. I have never been one for training really, instructions are boring just learn by doing. And that is what I have been doing. Been tracting everyday this week, met some good people, met some less good people, met lots of good people doing bad things.. I am in an area called Benson in omaha, semi-ghetto. Lots of less active members and part member families. The members have been a big focus so far, lots of them struggle with something. There is this really nice old black lady that is a recent convert that lives like a block away named lannell I think she is my favorite so far. Members are pretty good about feeding us which sorta suprises me because the ward was not very big on sunday. The strongest members are the old people and the young utah couples. Met a crazy guy on the way home last night, said he had been visited by the sisters. Thought joeseph smith lived underground in georgia haha but amid his crazyness he had a few correct thoughts about adam and eve and stuff. Me and Elder hayden share an apartment and then about five min up the road there are the ysa missionaries that we are friends with, they are cool, they have a car (Elders Bovee and Belnap) Bovee goes home in like 5 weeks. Hope fathers day was nice sorry I didn't get a letter off for it, didn't hear it was coming til about friday and I can only write on mondays. They want you to send all mail through the mission office on 11027 martha street. Maybe you should send me a normal sized umbrella in that case.. mission president is nice, doesn't talk a ton until you know him it seems, which doesn't really suprise me- he is a farmer. His wife is very friendly and I talked to her for a while the first day. That is sorta how all the couples are around here except the bishop, have not talked to him much but apparently he loves to talk a lot.... Oh and I almost forgot brother Reed! he is awesome he takes the missionaries out to eat every week and is really funny. He called you guys I think and talked to mom and savanah or T it sounded like. Every week he takes us to the same place this asian buffet cuz it is the cheapest place but it was pretty good. I catually ate at two chineese buffets on my first day out here so i think I have to find my way out of omaha to get the country food. I need some music.. oh and what are the words to come thou font I think its called. So I knew I would forget something guess what it was........... a pillow! so I  just stuffed the big blanket into my pillow case and it is working pretty well. There is a lot of government spending into this area. We have gone past some government paid for housing apparently and there are refugees here, we are teaching a few that speak english but this church that helped them get over here doesn't like that much. I forget where they are from.. I think it was burma. Dil and his son dinesh. I don't remeber if I told you but there was a sister rogers that came out in the group with me we sat next to each other on the plane though we did not talk much-still not sure what the rules are there. We don't think we are related though she is from utah but she is serving in the same ward as me! and guess what her companions name is??? Jensen haha so there are one set of sisters, elders, and senior missionaries in this ward. I have only really been a part of one lesson to a less active, nice guy, says he knows its true but has not been to church in a while he is about my age. there were some other exchanges that apparently count as lessons but they are not really sit down structured lessons where you teach them the restoration or plan of salvation etc. it has just been more faith in Jesus Christ sorta basic basic stuff but we teach to thier understanding so we try and teach the restoration by using the book of mormon to teach about faith and peace and then sorta touch on Joesph Smith sorta just name dropping and then going back to faith. So average baptisms in this mission are not very high, I think we need stronger members first which is a big focus. Also missionaries know when you are home so don't hide.. lots of people do but we learn how to recognize if people are home pretty quickly. thats about it. so you can write back and send it to the mission office which I think is 11027 matha street omaha 68144 nebraska but It was in the call packet if you still have a copy of that. Ill write it on the back of a letter I send today sometime. I need to get faster at typing so I can say more in less time.. basketball too cuz all the elders do that on p-day.
Elder Robert Wesley Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment